Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pendulums, Mechanics

Pendulums

The purpose of this mechanics exhibit was to show that the frequency that the pendulum swings only depends on the length of the string not the weight of the bob at the end o the pendulum.  I created three bobs from tennis balls.  Two were of the same length but with different weights and the other was the same weight as one of the balls but with a different string length.  I attached these different pendulums to a rod.
I labeled the three balls with A, B and C so that they could distinguished by the users.
I wanted the user to swing the pendulum and then observe the difference or likeness in frequency. I wanted them to notice that the bobs of different weight swing at the same frequency because they have strings on the same length. 
Here is an example of the two pendulums of different weight swinging together. They are different weight but swing together because they are of the same frequency.



I also wanted the user that swinging the pendulum with different length string but the same weight do not swing together. 


In order to bring this idea farther for my next iteration I used different objects that have associated masses as bobs.

I also created some signs. The first was to explain to the user what they should look for and what to do.




The second was to give a brief explanation of the phenomena.  The idea is that once you finished playing with the pendulums you can flip the sign over and discover what the phenomena is and why it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment