Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bending Mirror


My reflection exhibit was a bendable, interactive mirror.
During our exploration with reflections I really enjoyed the activity where we were told to tape two mirrors together and then play with reflections of drawings.  I thought this activity was a fun, hands-on way to learn about mirror and reflections.  I wanted to further explore the idea of multiple reflections. I thought that it would be interesting to have more than one cross section to look at the reflections and if the reflections had more than one surface to bounce off of. That is how I came up with my multiple surfaced mirror.

My idea is that the mirror would start flat and then the user could draw on it with the whiteboard markers. The user would create whatever they wanted.


Then the user would bend the mirror in different directions exploring how their designs and their designs' reflections interacted with each other.  I also wanted the user to get curious about how the multiple reflections of a mirror work.  The user would move the mirrors in different ways to create different patterns and reflections.


I think my design would have been more successful if I had done some user-testing and then a second iteration.  I also wish I had created some type of directions so users would have a better understanding of how to use the mirrors in order to get the most out of their experience.  Two of the goals of this exhibit was to be extremely interactive and open ended and I feel like those goes where successful.  For my next iteration I will add some type of directional piece.  I will also have things that are darker than the dry erase markers to make reflections, for the markers do not show up as well as I had hoped and thus the reflection interaction is not as clear as I had hoped.



2 comments:

  1. I kinda liked how the dry erase markers were lighter-- it allowed the reflections to overlap in a really interesting way. It could be really interesting to create a guided activity where multiple overlapping drawings created a coherent whole, like a face or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I realized fully how cool your exhibit could be when I was playing with it in class. I wonder if perhaps, if you left your own drawings on it, people would be more willing to play with folding it instead of focusing all their energy on drawing themselves. Perhaps that would provide more of the instant cool factor that holds someone at an exhibit for a longer period of time. I guess that's an interesting idea to toy with... how an exhibit is left by the previous person affects the new person's interaction with it.

    ReplyDelete