Sunday, January 12, 2014

Exhibit Critique

Rotating Faces: Which mirrors rotate your face when rotated, and why?

My favorite exhibition of the ones we were asked to explore was Rotating Faces: 
it is a simple exhibition that causes an extreme amount of initial mind-bafflement, and I think it is very clever and powerful.
I felt that it had a particularly strong element of actively encouraging analytic thinking through observation, 
and this simultaneous stimulation of physical and intellectual exploration is an aspect of Exploratorium exhibits that I find extremely compelling.
It took me a few minutes of turning the mirrors until I found the pattern, and then a few more to figure out one of the logical explanations to it. 
While it is true that most people probably wouldn't have time to stay at one installment for a long time, 
and therefore might walk away from it without being any closer to a possible solution, 
I think it is still nice to have planted a question in people's minds, 
and to leave them walking away from the Exploratorium with not only a fun experience but also unanswered questions. 

Seeing myself in the self-excluding mirror

My least favorite was the pair of self-excluding/centering mirrors, 
mainly because I don’t think they were set up very well. 
The mirrors wouldn’t work properly if you stood too close to them, yet putting the exhibits in a relatively narrow corridor made me naturally approach it from a close distance; it was somehow slightly anti-climatic when the first sight I saw in the self-excluding mirror was myself. 
In order to prevent this from happening, I think it would have been better if more consideration were given to place the mirrors somewhere more spacious.

2 comments:

  1. It's really interesting how we can have such different reactions to these exhibits. For me, I actually thought seeing myself in the self-excluding mirror was kinda fun. ...kinda like a rebellious I-figured-out-something-cool feeling. haha maybe that's just because my line for what's cool is really low. But then I started thinking about why that was (why I could see myself), which I thought that made the exhibit much more memorable than if it just did only what the sign advertised. Maybe this sense of climax also depends on how you approach the mirror (i.e. if you first don't see yourself in the self-excluding mirror before seeing yourself and vice versa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pictures you took are very interesting and even though you stated you did not enjoy the self-excluding/centering mirrors your picture makes me want to go find them.

    ReplyDelete