Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mirror Exhibit Critique

Update: I think I just figured out how to label this post correctly, sorry about that.

Favorite:
I enjoyed many of the mirror exhibits at the Exploratorium, but one of my favorites was the Through the Looking Glass exhibit. It is made up of four different activities that encompass many of the properties of mirrors. I like the idea of an exhibit having multiple stations because it allows multiple users to interact with the exhibit at the same time. 


Through the Looking Glass has four different activities on each of its four sides There is a mirror maze, a chalkboard reflected in a mirror, an activity where the user has to trace spirals while looking at them through a mirror, and an activity where the user has to move a washer along a wire while looking at it through a mirror. All these activities are very simple and robust and could be replicated at home, which is another advantage that this exhibit has. I also liked how there are clear instructions at each station and explanations that tell the user what is going on.



The exhibit is very hands-on and the chalkboard activity lets the user leave a semi-permanent "mark" on the exhibit, which makes it feel more personal. This exhibit illustrates some of the basic properties of mirrors in very simple, straight-forward way. I found Through the Looking Glass to be a very effective and fun exhibit.


Least Favorite:

I did not particularly like the Look into Infinity exhibit. The exhibit is small and flat and unfortunately it was easy to miss since it was pushed up against a wall behind the Giant Mirror. Infinity mirrors can be very interesting and look really cool, but this one did not impress me. The instructions were unclear and the exhibit lacked a good explanation of what was going on. Some of the other exhibits had brief explanations describing how the "trick" worked or the scientific phenomenon that the exhibit was portraying, which I think is very useful and educational. These explanations are short and clear enough so that the user can easily learn something new without losing interest or becoming too confused; the Look into Infinity exhibit could have used something like that.


Another issue I had with this exhibit is that it did not hold my attention for very long. I just looked through the holes and then I was ready to move on. I saw another museum visitor approach the exhibit. She didn't even bother to look into it, just read the little blurb and continued to the next exhibit. It might be relevant to add that this exhibit (which is black and rather boring-looking) is located next to the Anti-Gravity Mirror exhibit, which is a large, eye-catching mirror that looks a lot more inviting. If I were to redesign the Look into Infinity exhibit, I would add some colored lights or something more interesting to hold the user's attention as they looked at it. I would also embellish the outside of the exhibit to make it more appealing and eye-catching. I would add an explanation of how the mirror works and improve the instructions to make them clearer. The concept of an infinity mirror is very cool, but I think this exhibit missed the mark in its portrayal.

6 comments:

  1. I like your idea to make the outside of the mirror in the Infinity exhibit more appealing. Something as simple as that would definitely draw people's attention and bring them to the exhibit. Adding coloured lights to the exhibit would hold users' attention, and I am thinking of incorporating a similar idea in my own exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find Through The Looking Glass that interesting personally, but I absolutely agree with your point about how easy it would be to replicate at home. Museums can be good at creating exhibits and experiences you might not otherwise see (e.g. the Giant Mirror) and, simultaneously, providing ideas for activities you might be able to take home (e.g. this exhibit). While I found the first kind of exhibit more interesting, I think that striking a balance between the two is really important-- the novel exhibits get you excited about physical phenomena, and the simpler exhibits make it easier to extend your learning experience past the immediate context of the Exploratorium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really found what you said about visitor's leaving a temporary mark on the through the looking glass exhibit. It's something I certainly hadn't noticed but that I think is used in a lot of Exploratorium exhibits. By allowing visitors to leave a temporary mark on the exhibit, I believe it accomplishes a few things. First, it allows visitors to build on the ideas of previous visitors and potentially come up with newer cooler ideas. Second, the mere idea that users are allowed to leave a mark is incredible. So often in museums, the protocol is for visitors to simply look, watch, and observe and when they do interact with an exhibit it is often very straight forward and allows for little variation in what one can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your favorite was my least favorite! It was interesting to read your perspective on it. I hadn't thought about the prospect of recreating the exhibits at home. One thing that I didn't like about the chalkboard though was the fact that previous users had left semi permanent marks, as you mentioned. It made me feel like, when I sat down at the station, it had already been sullied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoyed through the looking glass and think your thoughts about a visitor leaving their mark are very interesting. I wasn't sure how I felt about the weird black eye pieces that this exhibit had. I thought that these eye things forced an experience that could have been more interactive to become singular. I understand there purpose was to divide your normal vision from your mirror vision but I think there must be a more effective was to do this.
    Lights in the infinity mirror exhibit would add a lot of interesting interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I COMPLETELY agree regarding Look Into Infinity. I thought the concept was so cool yet the exhibit so unattractive. I actually based my project for the week on the idea of making a better one.

    ReplyDelete