Monday, January 20, 2014

Northern Projections - Prototype 1

This was my first chance to create an idea for an exhibit and I couldn't have been much more excited.  As someone who is interested in designing exhibits as a career, I was eager to see what I could produce.
Prototype #1
Starting with Exploration.  I loved how Modesto guided our class through an Exploration of mirrors during our visit on the 10th.  We simply played with mirrors and wrote all the things that they could do.  It started with focusing on the phenomena (reflection, doubling, multiplying) and figuring out ways to explore them further.  So when i had my first chance to go to Room 36, I grabbed a few materials and began playing around and sketching - one of my favorite things to do as a designer.  What I came up with that night drew upon several phenomenon by which I have always been fascinated.

Focusing light.  I remember doing a project presentation in fifth grade on parabolas.  I had no idea what it was then, but I had a set of instructions that helped my draw one, and when I read that the mathematician Archimedes had used parabolas to set Roman ships on fire I was amazed by how powerful carefully shaped mirrors could be.  This was one phenomenon I hoped to explore through the creation of a bendable and adjustable mirror.
The resulting concentration of light was also known as the death ray

Mixing colors, maximums, and mylar.  Just before winter break, I was volunteering at Helix, the new Exploratorium museum in Los Altos.  I led an activity called light boxes, which consisted on rolling up mylar, sticking it in a box, and covering one side with clear plastic and the other with semi-transparent white paper.  The result created incredible patterns from the way the incoming light bounced off the mylar. Additionally, visitors could hold translucent pieces of colored film over one end of the boxes and experiment with mixing colors.  While the end result was wonderful, I felt that most visitors (kids particularly) didn't understand why the colors were mixing and why the cool patterns of light were appearing.  On the other hand, whenever I told them to look at all the cool reflections the mylar made and prompted them to figure out why the different patterns came up, they explored eagerly.  For my exhibit, I decided I wanted to use similar circumstances but allow users a more intuitive understanding of color mixing and light concentration.


Something Pretty.  As I mentioned in class, I have been obsessed with the northern lights since first seeing that one scene in Balto (forget the romantic part, I was amazed by the lights).  I've been toying with the idea of making a lamp to imitate the northern lights for a while and when I saw the reflections the mylar made, I knew this would be a great opportunity to do so.

Putting it together.  The first things I wanted to do were to create a bendable, adjustable mirror lights that would make my exhibit as interactive as possible and allow users to play with the phenomenon of mixing colors and bending mirrors.  Having learned from experience that electronics take time, I focused on making adjustable lights, one green, one red, and one blue.  Then, I worked on creating a bendable mirror.  While at first I made a mirror that was adjustable using the reflective vinyl, I was unable to produce the curves in the reflection that I wanted.  I ended up using mylar instead and secured it only at two ends so that it could move freely.
A Bendable Mirror
In the end, I was pretty happy with my final product, and was delighted to hear how everyone played with it.  Unfortunately, the green light wasn't as strong as the other two lights and so barely showed up.  I also ended up needing a fairly dark place to keep the exhibit or stronger lights.  I'd be interested in exploring the reflective mechanism more as well as making playing with the lights more fun and intuitive.  On occasion, the blue light flickered on an off which ended up creating a cool effect.  I worry that focusing on both the reflective light, color mixing, and northern lights may have been too much.  Also, because the northern lights aren't really formed in this manner, I may wish to remove that aspect from future prototypes. More than anything, I'd like to watch more people play with it and see what they take away from it.  

The Northern Lights
Other Ideas.  I would also love to try to do something with a Pine-sol and water solution and mirrors.  Ideally, I'd like to set up a large array of rotatable three-sided mirrors with a laser pointing at them so you could try bouncing and reflecting light in different ways.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the concept behind your piece, which was to create a northern lights effect (even if the northern lights aren't actually created this way.) When we saw your exhibit, I felt that the bright lighting of the room really dulled the effect of the lights, but I can clearly see the full impact in your photo---makes we wish we saw your exhibit in a darker room! (Once again touching upon the reoccurring concept of the importance of an exhibit's environment.) Since mylar is so easily bendable, I wonder how the experience would be like if you had 2 vibrating/moving arms at the end of the mylar so that it oscillates or vibrates automatically, thereby projecting lights in constant movement?

    Speaking of Balto, did you try experimenting with shards of glass at any point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I could see being really successful as a large-scale exhibit (or at least projected onto a larger area). I think in addition to stronger lights, maybe making the lights more focused could help create the effect you are looking for. I really like the idea though--and maybe you don't need colored lights at all?

    ReplyDelete