Friday, February 21, 2014

Plasma Speaker

Last week, in addition to the two exhibit ideas that I refined, I also brought in another project that I've been developing. I'm very interested in sound, electricity (specifically high voltage), and the cultural and psychological effects of playing with danger. 

A plasma speaker uses a high voltage source (in the 10s of kV range) to produce an arc of ionized molecules in the air, creating a stream of plasma. This plasma is pulsed at a frequency too high to hear, but is modulated with an audio signal that can be heard coming directly from the arc.

Stanford's own Paul Demarinis used a similar phenomenon with the flame as a medium instead of an electrical arc.

I'd like to push this piece forward to a point that I can get some meaningful interactive elements. To do this, I need to ensure that no one receives an inadvertent shock from the high voltage sections, then I can concentrate on one of several variable elements. The distance between the electrodes controls not just sound quality, but also volume. The material, shape, and orientation of the electrodes makes a big difference as well. I could also allow the visitor to control the sound source. For starters, the distance between the electrodes will hopefully yield some interesting discoveries.

1 comment:

  1. whoa, the firebirds is really cool! I'm wondering whether you consider your exhibit more of an art piece or a guided discovery? ...What would it look like if you focus more on the art side?

    ReplyDelete