Monday, February 17, 2014

Shadow Skyline

I've always been fascinated with making patterns with shadows, and I was inspired by this artist (http://www.kumiyamashita.com/light-and-shadow/) to create something where people could make scenic landscapes themselves by playing with shadows.
I thought it would be really interesting to let people build a whole skyline out of shadows, making shapes of identical sizes have shadows that vary greatly in scale by positioning them at different distances to the light source.
It was interesting for me to see the illusion of depth with the projection that happened on the corner of the box-- as showed above on the left side of the photo, the angle change of the wall made it seem as if the building had depth to it. Another thing I noticed when I made this is that there was a fairly strong pinhole effect going on with the windows, and that would be something I'd like to further exploit in developing this prototype.
 I imagine children playing with the angles and the scaling of the buildings to create cityscapes of their own, interacting with the shadows, and playing around with the pinhole effect (see below.)
While I would not scale up the actual acrylic buildings significantly when further developing this project, I would want to have a larger distance between the light source and the projection wall, to have a greater contrast between the objects and the shadows. The shadows would ideally be able to go as high as 4-5 feet.  Another thing I would add to this exhibition would be different window-shaped filters over the light source, so that people could use the pinhole effect to change the shapes of the windows.

1 comment:

  1. I like the simplicity of this project. The concept and idea behind the shadows is straightfoward, yet visually very pretty. I feel like doing this project for your final prototype will appear to your wonderful artistic side! I think having shadows up to 4-5 feet would be really neat, and I hope the outdoors spotlight you bought works well.

    ReplyDelete