Monday, May 19, 2014

Hand-Cranked Harmonograph at the Maker Faire

I had a great time exhibiting my Exploratorium prototype at the Maker Faire last weekend. The flow of visitors passing by our table was continuous and almost never-ending (as there were a lot of people in general who visited the Exploratorium tent.) I almost lost my voice a second time from talking too much. The visitors were very engaged and both the adults and the children asked great questions!

There was a particularly curious child who wanted to try out all possible combinations: "What if we put the pin in this hole instead?" "What if we use a smaller gear?" "What if we use a bigger gear?" "What if we use the biggest gear possible?" "What if we use different arms?" It was fantastic seeing him and many others so curious to experiment.

I also had the chance to talk to Paula from the Exploratorium who coincidentally had brought a spirograph exhibit to show after our shift, and we had a great conversation about spirographs, my harmonograph design, and some general topics such as digitial-physical interfacing.

















No comments:

Post a Comment